So, today I learned on the internet:
-If the zoological scientist doesn’t flash enough skin, her findings are suspect.
-Men absorb scientific knowledge better if blood is drawn away from their brains slightly.
-An educational video is so much better when the taxidermist is crying.
-Marie Curie should have given it up in order to get tenure.
-People Are No Damn Good.
Day well spent.
Let me preface this by saying people are entitled to their opinions. I came into the YouTube universe knowing that 1. I was very very new at it and there would be a learning curve, and 2. People are rude on the Internet, and I have to steel myself against their negativity and basically realize that haters gonna hate. Fine. Done.
What I do have a problem with are comments like these: not because they are focused on or directly for me, but because they are about women everywhere. I make it my objective to be a role model for young people (especially women) to feel as though science can be an accessible field that they have the ability to be successful in — something based entirely off of their talent and intellect, and not focused at all on their gender or looks. These comments insinuate that the viewers are only listening because I’m a woman on a science channel, not because the content is interesting, and whatever is coming out of my mouth is second only in importance to the objectified body that’s saying it. I don’t care that people don’t like my clothes — I care that young women will see these comments and feel as though they can’t be ‘good at science’ or smart or revered or respected unless they look attractive, or play up their sex appeal. As if we have to appeal to the male demographic by being sexy, or risk being unheard.
I’m not going to go away or be deterred, and I’m not going to change my clothes or dress sexier to get more viewership. I am, however, without a doubt going to spend every fiber of my being celebrating young women and men in encouraging them to follow what drives them, motivate them to research what they are passionate about, and support them in making the world a better place… one un-sexy cardigan at a time.
holy douchebags, batman! it’s like they are incapable of fathoming the fact that girls don’t dress for them. (also, why would you watch a science channel about dead animals expecting to get a boner. wtf kind of fetish is that.) augh, so sorry you have to deal with this kind of misogyny, emily. love how they try to act like they “don’t judge on looks” and then tell you how to dress.
The Brain Scoop is a great new webseries, the scope of which is very difficult to describe… If you don’t like those comments and you do like the way Emily responds to them, you should watch the crap out of it.
Via The Mary Sue
- lets-have-a-ball-and-a-biscuit likes this
- aweink reblogged this from edwardspoonhands
- pollovsdios likes this
- ageleis likes this
- coraldanvers reblogged this from kimyadawson
- eyesfulloflanguage reblogged this from ehmeegee
- perksofbeingasociopath reblogged this from ehmeegee
- sarcasticfumblings reblogged this from askhumantavros
- nickinargle reblogged this from ehmeegee
- petitlitterateur likes this
- postsofanuneasymind reblogged this from ehmeegee
- postsofanuneasymind likes this
- paperandpie likes this
- ohsohappymom likes this
- n0tletting-sadnesswin reblogged this from edwardspoonhands
- halfbloodmarauder likes this
- erindizmo likes this
- consciously-naive likes this
- skyscribble likes this
- originalitydrain reblogged this from edwardspoonhands
- kteelee likes this
- curiosity-of-pandora likes this
- moostachah reblogged this from ehmeegee
- ugh-is-an-emotion reblogged this from themarysue
- kitkatkamaroo reblogged this from ehmeegee
- solpartre likes this
- resmc likes this
- seekatiedraw reblogged this from ehmeegee and added:
- seekatiedraw likes this
- chem424 likes this
- keymera likes this
- killyoursmarmings reblogged this from ehmeegee and added:
- killyoursmarmings likes this
- derpingdaily likes this
- claire-does-not-approve likes this
- charliebadassbradbury reblogged this from ehmeegee
- threeninjass likes this
- whutadunce likes this
- acityignites likes this
- magicallyturningbacktime reblogged this from ehmeegee
- kettleraptor likes this
- thecuntmagician reblogged this from sayitfromtherooftop
- rawrzillalovesyou likes this
- danman54 likes this
- two-toed-sloth-queen reblogged this from kimyadawson
- whitecrab likes this
- time-to-say-goodnight reblogged this from war-in-war-is-war-as-war
- bettykracker likes this
- catmintcilantro likes this